I make things happen. I have worked in a diverse array of sectors including: travel tech, finance (banking and fintech), social media, telecom and R&D, both in large corporate and startup environments. I have a passion for Machine Learning and AI. I have a PhD in Computer Science and I am a lifelong learner. This site aims to provide you with a better understanding of my work. Thanks for stopping by. –Aris
Product strategy and leadership, innovation, roadmap, Lean methodology, full lifecycle ownership, product-market fit, value driven design with rapid customer feedback, customer analysis, competition analysis, requirements, functional design, technical design, wireframes, prototyping, MVP, A/B testing, MVT, UX, optimisation with analytics...
SCRUM, Kanban, Scrumban, value driven development, adaptive planning, stakeholder management, negotiation, backlog, user stories, Aha!, Jira Agile, Trello...
Predictive modeling, Supervised Learning (e.g. Neural Networks, Deep Learning, Support Vector Machines), Clustering and Unsupervised Learning, Recommender Systems, Time Series analytics (e.g. Markov models, BackProp through Time), Anomaly Detection, Dimensionality Reduction, Reinforcement Learning...
Data: Python (Scikit-learn, Pybrain, Pandas, Numpy), R, SQL, Hadoop, Tableau
OO: Java, C++
January 2016 - Now
- Leading the vision, strategy, definition and execution of the top strategic product of Expedia Affiliate Network’s (Expedia’s B2B solutions) Data Intelligence: The new innovative customer-facing analytics product which advances and productionalises data-driven business optimisation of Expedia Affiliate Network’s partnerships • Global cross-functional, cross-brand, and cross-partner stakeholder management, including sales, finance, Partner Connect (integration), marketing and customer operations as well as diamond-tier partners • In addition: Vision, MVP, roadmap, UX, Product-Market-Fit, Go-to-Market strategy and development team leadership • Introducing an array of qualitative and quantitative methods including ROI-based prioritization, KPI-driven product optimization using data analytics, usability testing with eye-tracking etc.
- Acquisition Marketing Automation for Hotels.com • Managed the suite of in-house products that power digital marketing globally with Search Engine, Travel Search and Social partners (Google, Bing, TripAdvisor, Kayak, Trivago, Facebook etc.). Achievements: • Massive improvement of the development team’s delivery velocity by optimising the Agile process • Drove Hotels.com being the first OTA to uptake new Google API features, reversing a previous trend of slow partner integration • Produced a number of P&L critical, real-time data feeds, novel in the entire Expedia Group • Re-engineered monitoring mechanisms to provide real-time accurate customer conversion tracking, tied directly into commercials monitoring • Led a strategic cross-brand project for a new in-house bidding platform and more.
Sept 2014 - April 2015
- Risk product owner of Checkout.com online payments gateway (fintech sector).
- Led the gateway’s new risk mitigation and fraud detection platform, introducing Predictive Analytics features (e.g. neural networks, clustering, anomaly detection) and innovative web technologies (e.g. device fingerprinting). Designed, managed and delivered the new customer underwriting product and user journey. Functional and technical design, competition intelligence, prototyping.
- Reference available upon request.
Make my data!
Preparing for the Silicon Milkroundabout. Attracting talent for Checkout.
While at Checkout, I was called by the Greek Navy to serve my national service
(compulsory for all Greek males). I completed my service in October 2015.
More importantly, my son was born!
October 2012 - September 2014
- Product management for ATC Innovation Lab’s social media analytics product: A data journalism application that enables media organisations to analyse and confirm news that emerge on the social media through a wide range of metrics.
- My product received funding from Google’s Digital News Initiative.
- It has also become a finalist of the EU Innovation Radar.
- Product roadmap and backlog, functional and technical design, specifications production, wireframes, developers team management.
- Introduced all Machine Learning powered features (NLP, classifiers, sentiment analysis, topics extraction etc.), introduced new metrics, improved the UI/UX.
- Other duties: Participated in the EU-funded research projects REVEAL (Social Media Verification) and HEADS (The Internet of Things).
- Reference available upon request.
At TruthNest’s booth in the European Data Forum.
June 2010 – June 2012 (contract)
- Business analysis for Eurobank’s (#1 in small business banking in Greece) strategic large-scale digital transformation project: Its new in-house small-business loan origination and management system.
- Duties included: Customer analysis: Led the interviews and workshops with senior Credit Officers, Risk Managers and Executives for requirements elicitation.Analysis, design, integration, business process re-engineering, improvements and specifications for the complete array of business banking processes including: Loan origination flows, credit risk scoring, approval model, pricing, legal and technical controls, disbursements, loan restructuring, customer relationship management etc.
- Reference available upon request.
2006 – 2007 and 2009 – 2014
- Deree, the American College of Greece. Taught courses (validated by the Open University UK): Network Security and Cryptography, Networking Project. May 2013 – August 2014.
- Mediterranean College. Taught courses (validated by the Univ. of Greenwich): Mathematics for Engineers, Introduction to Computing, Web Development. September 2006 – August 2007.
2004 – 2006 and 2007 – 2009
- Head of Computer Science Labs for the “MSc in Computing” and 3rd year undergraduate students in the Department of Computing.
- Full responsibility for Labs’ organization, teaching and day-to-day operations.
- Teaching (C++, Object Oriented Software Engineering -UML, Haskell and Linux).
- Lecturing (Java).
- Examiner (Distributed Systems).
- Projects advisor/mentor and organizer (MSc dissertations and Group projects).
March 2003 – September 2003
- Worked on projects MASCOTTE (Algorithms, Simulation, Combinatronics and OpTimization for Telecommunications) and ARACNE (Approximation and Randomized Algorithms for Communication Networks). Development of new approaches for the Energy Consumption Problem in ad-hoc wireless networks. Sophia-Antipolis, France.
Various times between 2012 - 2015
- Lead Data Scientist: Predictive Analytics, auto insurance sector. Design and development of a holistic Machine Learning platform. Technologies used: Python and the Pandas, Scikit-Learn frameworks.
- Department of Computing, Distributed Software Engineering Group (part-time studies).
- Thesis subject: Distributed Optimisation Algorithms for Dynamic Network Applications.
- PhD Scholarships by:
- the Empirikion Foundation, Athens, Greece.
- the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), London, UK.
- Distinction: 83.50 out of 100.
- Dissertation subject: Optimisation Metaheuristics for Network Problems -Simulated Annealing, Genetic Algorithms, Stochastic Search (Distinction: 73 out of 100).
- First: 7.0 out of 10.
- Dissertation subject: Client-Server Databases (High Distinction: 10 out of 10).
Google Digital Marketing Certification – Google. Sep 2016
The Analytics Edge – MIT online course (edX). Mar-May 2015
Machine Learning – Stanford University online course (Coursera). Feb-May 2014
Financial Engineering and Risk Management (I & II) – Columbia University online courses (Coursera). Feb-May 2013
Visit my profile on Google Scholar for a list of my publications at scientific journals and conferences:
- “The Elections Battle on the Social Networks”, Social Networks analytics article for the latest Greek national elections in newspaper “Efimerida Sintakton”, Athens, January 23rd 2015 (Greek language).
- “The Existing Digital Socialism”, Social Networks article in newspaper’s “to Vima“ inlaid ”Vima Ideon”, Athens, January 1st 2010 (Greek language).
- “Does God play dice?”, Quantum Mechanics article, in the “Discovery & Science” popular Science magazine, Athens, October 2005 (Greek language).